Get an Expert Opinion Without Leaving Home
Our online second opinion program offers patients access to leading specialists at UCSF Medical Center, no matter where they live. If you are facing a complex medical issue or difficult treatment decision, having a second opinion from a world-class academic medical center can provide valuable guidance and peace of mind.
UCSF has partnered with Grand Rounds to deliver this service. Because Grand Rounds takes care of gathering medical records and coordinating the review, the process is simple, convenient and completely confidential. Since everything is done remotely, there is no need to travel to San Francisco.
The fee for the service is $700. Please be aware that most insurance plans currently do not cover the cost of online second opinions.
Our remote second opinion tool can be very helpful if:
- You want a second opinion on your diagnosis
- You want a second opinion on recommendations for surgery or a complex treatment plan
Note: It takes 10 to 14 days to receive a remote second opinion. Do NOT use this service for medical emergencies or if you need immediate treatment guidance.
If this is a medical emergency, please immediately call your local emergency service number (911 in the United States) to get prompt medical attention, or go to the nearest emergency room.
Ready to Start?
How Does It Work?
Get an online second opinion in four steps:
1. Create an account, then open your case by clicking the green button on the patient dashboard. You may also call Grand Rounds for assistance at (800) 941-1383 (domestic) or (775) 440-2557 (international). They are available Monday to Friday from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. PST
2. You will be prompted to provide an email address, basic patient information, locations of your medical records and any specific questions you have about your condition.
3. Grand Rounds collects all your medical records and chooses the most appropriate doctor from UCSF Medical Center to review your case. Everything is handled securely to protect your privacy.
4. The UCSF Medical Center physician reviews your diagnosis and compiles your treatment plan. He or she will provide clear medical guidance in the form of a written second opinion, addressing the specific questions you submitted.
During the process, you will be assigned a personal care coordinator and staff physician from Grand Rounds. They will be your points of contact and will assist you throughout the process handling logistics, collecting records, answering any questions and ensuring your needs are fully met.
How Long Does It Take?
On average, patients receive their online second opinion within 10 to 14 business days of submitting their request.
Your personal care coordinator from Grand Rounds will keep you updated on the status of your request. You can also log in to your secure account at any time to track the progress of your second opinion.
Note: If you prefer to make an in-person appointment, please call (888) 689- UCSF for help finding a doctor, or go to the UCSF Medical Center s Request an Appointment page to select the clinic or program you need.
How much does it cost?
An online second opinion from UCSF Medical Center costs $700. The following services are included:
- Access to a personal care coordinator and staff physician from Grand Rounds
- Collection, digitization and submission of your medical records by Grand Rounds
- Medical review by an expert specialist from the world-renowned UCSF Medical Center
- A written opinion from that expert specialist
- Post-opinion follow-up for additional questions and referrals
In rare cases, the UCSF Medical Center expert physician reviewing your case will suggest another review of your radiology and/or pathology. If this occurs, your personal care coordinator will contact you regarding the additional fees for these services.
Will my insurance help pay for it?
Currently, most health plans do not cover online second opinions or consultations, so patients are responsible for the cost. Payment is due when your second opinion request is submitted.
All major credit cards (MasterCard, Visa, American Express and Discover) are accepted. You may also use your Health Savings Account (HSA) or Flexible Spending Account (FSA) to pay for the service. UCSF Medical Center will not file a claim with your insurance carrier, nor can we provide a procedure (CPT) code for the online second opinion service.
What if my medical records are in another language?
Medical records must be submitted in English. Please arrange for your records to be translated by a qualified medical translator before submitting them for review. You may use any qualified service of your choice, or contact Lan Do & Associates for assistance.
What should I do once I have the second opinion?
The UCSF Medical Center specialist may agree with your original diagnosis and treatment plan, offering you peace of mind that you are making the right decisions regarding your medical care. It is also possible that the UCSF specialist will agree with the initial diagnosis, but will offer different or additional treatment recommendations. Or, the specialist may have a different diagnosis entirely, and will recommend a different course of treatment.
Whatever the outcome, once you receive the report you should schedule time with your local health care provider to review the recommendations and work together to come up with the best treatment approach for your case.
If you decide to come to UCSF Medical Center for treatment, you will likely see the same physician who provided your online second opinion. However, please call the clinic beforehand to confirm that the physician is still the appropriate specialist for your case and is available to meet with you.