#paramedic science degree
Eligible to be completed on a stand-alone or continuous module-by-module basis within a five year period
Why choose us?
- We are the only dedicated paramedic science school in the UK with the first university-based paramedic virtual training centre
- The Guardian University Guide 2015 ranks Kingston and St George’s as top in London for Paramedic science
- We scored 100 per cent student satisfaction in the 2014 National Student Survey
- You will gain 1800 hours placement experience, 1125 of which will be with the London Ambulance Service (LAS). one of the busiest ambulance services in the world. This means the course offers extensive exposure to a range of paramedic scenarios
- You will learn from an experienced team including operational paramedics who assist in skills practice
- We have a dedicated anaesthetist whose experience and expert knowledge is invaluable for paramedic education
- You will have access to a wide range of health care specialists including nurse consultants, nurse practitioners and doctors in immunology, oncology, paediatrics, obstetrics, end of life medicine and mental health
- St George’s, University of London is the only UK university to share its campus with a hospital; the St George’s Healthcare Universities NHS Trust is one of the largest teaching hospitals in the country and serves a diverse community
95 per cent of students obtain immediate employment at the London Ambulance Service and the remaining students gain employment within six months of qualifying.
- Placements for students in the busiest ambulance trust in the UK.
- A very experienced team to support and develop students throughout the programme of study.
- We have a dedicated Student Support Officer to ensure student wellbeing; they are the first point of contact for students who have personal problems, need advice or are seeking information about University services.
Learning tools and facilities
- Our purpose-built home environment allows students to simulate care and response to emergency calls with actors playing the roles of patients.
- We use state-of-the-art equipment in our skills labs at St George s, University of London, including realistic simulation manikins which are very realistic in their presentation of clinical conditions.
- Our London Ambulance Service paramedic link lecturer organises simulation skills sessions for students.
- A purpose-built paramedic simulation suite at St George’s, University of London. It consists of two life size ambulance saloons and home area consisting of three dedicated home spaces – a kitchen, bathroom and bedroom with appropriate furniture and fixtures. These facilities are monitored under ‘live’ camera surveillance, enabling training staff to provide relevant feedback to improve skills and student confidence.
- A new 3D digital ‘immersion room’ with high fidelity sound and projectable walls that can be changed to create the ambient environment of any scenario students may encounter to perform a rescue. This can include a dog attack at a residential home, a nightclub, a railway station or a car collision.
- You will have access to extensive reading resources including the Journal of Paramedic Practice .
We organise placements with the London Ambulance Service. and you will be attached to local health departments and trusts for additional exposure. We also work with the South East Coast Ambulance Service and have close links with several NHS trusts including: