Online Courses and Classes in Theology
Students who want to explore religious perspectives or train for religious vocations can enroll in online theology courses offered through private colleges. These courses are generally offered as part of degree programs in religion, theological studies or divinity.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biblical Studies
- Buddhist Studies
- Christian Studies
- Islamic Studies
- Jewish Studies
- Missionary Studies
- Pastoral Studies
- Religious Music Studies
- Theology and Religious Vocations
- Youth Ministry
Online Theology Courses
The following descriptions are for commonly offered online theology courses.
- Western World Religions Course: This introductory course compares the history and growth of Western religious theories and viewpoints. Students will explore the foundations and key concepts of Islam, Judaism and Christianity. The course may also include research on ancient religions and religious practices among non-literate societies. This course may be offered as an elective within several humanities programs. Online class participation may include discussion groups, e-mailed assignments and Internet research.
- Christian Theology Course: This course reviews the theories surrounding the practice of a triune God, and focuses on the nature of God and His interaction with a created world. Topics include divine foreknowledge, the creation process, faith issues and the place of science in theological thought.
- Bible Doctrines Course: This course reviews the historical account of Christian religious thought and doctrine as presented in the biblical accounts of the Old and New Testaments. Topics covered include Jewish history, the growth of Christianity and the establishment of modern-day religious practices.
- Biblical Languages Course: Students are introduced to ancient Greek, Latin and Hebrew as recorded in biblical and historical texts. Students will review texts and conduct research on biblical language forms and context. Specialized software may be required to download language fonts and audio files.
- History of Christianity Course: Students enrolled in this course learn the history of the Christian church beginning in the apostolic age on through the present time. The course also helps students better understand issues Christianity has faced in the past and issues plaguing the church today.
- Revelation Course: This course will cover the prophecies in the Bible’s Book of Revelation. Students in this course will also examine the return of Christ as well as the social, religious and political conditions in the time Revelation was written.
- Genesis Course: This course will address the stories in the Book of Genesis. Specifically, the course will look at the patriarchs from these stories and the story of creation.
Online theology courses are most commonly found within Bachelor of Arts in Theological Studies or Religion and Master of Divinity programs. Online individual classes are also available, in addition to certificates, associate’s and doctoral degrees. A few theology or religion courses may also be taken as elective courses within liberal arts degree programs. While religion courses usually seek to compare and contrast religious movements, theology courses are designed to prepare individuals for careers as ministers, spiritual counselors and educators within religious organizations.
Online courses in theology are available via certificates, associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees. Topics for these programs include Biblical languages, the history of Christianity and western world religions.