About the University
More study options
Working with us
in the UK for Mechanical Engineering
The Complete University Guide 2018
of 2 Queen’s Anniversary Prizes
Jump to section
Our Mechanical Engineering MSc is designed to meet the challenges of the rapidly changing global market; the availability of well-designed products, processes and systems is the foundation of successful commercial enterprises.
- Dynamics and control
- Fluid mechanics
- Optical engineering and high power lasers
- Structural integrity
- Plan and monitor multi-disciplinary projects
- Appreciate the central role of design within engineering
- Demonstrate competence in using computer based engineering techniques
- Analyse and understand complex engineering problems
- Use team working skills and communicate effectively at an advanced technical level
What makes this programme different?
- Underpinned by the latest research and best practice
- Access our brand new 17 million STEMLab
- Experience research-led teaching from international experts
- Develop the latest technical and transferable skills specific to the mechanical engineering industry
Who should study this programme?
The Mechanical Engineering programme is aimed at both new graduates and engineering professionals who wish to develop advanced skills in engineering science, design and technology.
An honours degree (2:1 or above) or equivalent overseas qualification in any engineering discipline, or HND with appropriate industrial experience. Applicants with a lower second class honours degree (2:2) will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
What you’ll study
The modules on our Mechanical Engineering MSc are taught by leading experts in the field, and content is directly informed by the latest industry advancements and our research expertise.
Mechanical Engineering covers a wide range of topics; to give you a taster we have expanded on some of the core modules affiliated with this programme and the specific assessment methods associated with each module.
All modules are compulsory modules. Modules are directly informed by the latest industry advancements and our research expertise, and are taught by leading experts in the field.
This module allows students to gain a critical understanding of innovation and entrepreneurship process in engineering and manufacturing industry. Students will develop knowledge and understanding of different phases and activities essential to successfully initiate and implement a new engineering business or designing a new product. They will also learn the principles of new product development and the entrepreneurship process within manufacturing and engineering context.