#health information technology degree
Play an Essential Role Analyzing
and Managing Patient Data
Earn Your Health Information Technician Associate’s Degree
Our Health Information Technician (HIT) Associate’s degree prepares you to analyze and manage patient care data as an HIT professional. Through in-field insight from instructors and firsthand experience in a sophisticated digital lab, you can be confident that your programmatically accredited education meets the highest standards of the profession and will help you develop the skills for a variety of healthcare positions, such as a quality improvement analyst, health data analyst or an EHR implementation specialist. You will also be prepared for a diverse range of healthcare settings, including insurance companies, technology firms, government agencies and both inpatient and ambulatory healthcare systems.
Available through fully online or blended courses (online and on-campus), you can earn your HIT Associate’s degree and prepare for your RHIT exam with the flexibility and personal support you need to be successful.* Our Health Information Technician Associate’s degree is also offered with our Flex Choice ® option, which allows you to take self-directed assessments alongside your traditional courses to earn your degree with more flexibility and affordability—on a schedule that fits your life.
To see how this program can help you achieve your goals:
- Course plan customized for you
- Support and financial aid planning
- Career path guidance with no obligation
Read more about this program
and then request information specific to you
Graduate In As Few As*
Tuition now reduced to $199 per credit *
See how you can save »
Gain In-Demand Healthcare Data Skills Employers Seek
Through career-focused curriculum and practical, hands-on opportunities in your courses, you can prepare for a successful career as an HIT professional. Our program is designed to help you gain relevant HIT skills employers seek, including:
Healthcare System Insight
Gain an overview of the entire healthcare and electronic health record systems, and learn to communicate effectively as part of a healthcare team.
Patient Information Management
Manage patient-specific data to ensure the appropriate maintenance and release of sensitive and confidential medical information.
Medical Billing and Coding
Study medical billing and coding procedures that make HIT an important link between patients, healthcare providers and insurance companies.
Advanced Healthcare Technology
Understand changes in healthcare technology so you are prepared to work in many health information roles.
HIT Industry Membership and Programmatic Accreditation
The HIT Associate’s degree program offered at the Brooklyn Park/Maple Grove, Bloomington, Eagan, Lake Elmo/Woodbury, Mankato, and St. Cloud campuses in Minnesota; the Aurora/Naperville and Rockford campuses in Illinois; the Green Bay campus in Wisconsin; and the Rasmussen College Online Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM).
233 N. Michigan Ave, 21st Floor
Chicago, IL 60601-5800
As an HIT student, membership to AHIMA is included in your total program costs. This is a valuable opportunity to join the leading organization for health information professionals in the healthcare industry. Additionally, the cost of your RHIT certification exam is included in total program costs.*
Our Grads Achieve Career Success
Graduates from our School of Health Science programs are working for leading employers, including:*
- Mayo Clinic Health System
- Rush University Medical Center
- U of Minnesota Physicians
- Children’s Hospital of MN
- Fairview Hospitals and Clinics
- Sanford Health
- Heart of Florida Health Center
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
- GE Healthcare
- Ultimate Medical Academy
- Marshfield Clinic
- Elmhurst Memorial Hospital
116 Years of Successful Graduates
At Rasmussen College, we’ve been dedicated to our mission of preparing students for career success since 1900.
*Employer information reported by Rasmussen College graduates. This list does not constitute an endorsement of Rasmussen College by the organizations shown above. Listing does not guarantee or imply that future employment opportunities at these organizations will be available.
for our Health Information Technician Graduates:
Need more detailed information about our program?
Program Entry Requirements
To learn about the immunization requirements, background check and programmatic orientation required prior to enrolling in this program, contact a program manager today.
RN to BSN Expected Program Outcomes*
- As contributors to a global community, 90% of the Program graduates will remain employed as a Registered Nurse or advance their career within the Scope of the BSN Generalist Role, as measured within one year of graduation.
- In support of lifelong learning, the Program graduates will be prepared to further their education in the fields of Nursing or Health Care.
- In support of service to students, 85% of the Program graduates will indicate that the Program fulfilled their expectations and that they would recommend the Program to others.
- Of the responding employers, 70% will indicate satisfaction with the Program graduates’ preparedness and knowledge, skills, and attitudes necessary to serve diverse communities, as measured within one year of graduation.
- Consistent with the goals of an institution of higher learning, 70% of students who enroll in the Program will successfully complete the Program on an average time to completion of eight academic quarters.
- The Program will employ appropriately credentialed and experienced faculty who demonstrate commitment to lifelong learning through ongoing professional development and educational opportunities.
*CCNE defines Program Outcomes as “Statements of levels of achievement, which encompass student achievement, faculty achievement, and other program-selected indicators of achievement. Program outcomes may be expressed in the form of overall program goals, end-of program outcomes, curricular outcomes, and/or faculty outcomes.”
Ready to Start Your Path in Health Information?
You’ll receive support and financial aid planning, a customized course plan and career path guidance—with no obligation.
How Much Could You Earn as a Health Information Technician?
Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Employment Statistics. [salary data accessed August 9, 2016] www.bls.gov/oes/. Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook. [career information accessed February 25, 2016] www.bls.gov/ooh/. BLS salary data represents national, averaged earnings for the occupations listed and includes workers at all levels of education and experience. This data does not represent starting salaries. Employment conditions in your area may vary.
How Much Will it Cost?
See how affordable your degree of choice is:
We Make College Affordable
At Rasmussen College, we believe higher education should be a successful investment. That’s why we’ve lowered tuition and offer the options you need to make earning your degree even more attainable. See how you can save: